Sunday, March 5, 2017

a winter story, part three

by: Olivia Dale


"Now, child," Great Aunt Eliza babbled to Cecily, "which room in this house is the warmest?"
"The kitchen." Cecily answered, innocently.
Eliza sighed. "I mean the warmest bedroom." She explained to the child.
"The warmest room really has to be the boys' room, Great Aunt Eliza." Felicity answered before Cecily had the chance to speak. I wish to keep my room, if it means all the same to you, little sister, Felicity thought selfishly.
"Oh, perfect, then perhaps, Alec, you can move my things into the boys' room." Eliza said cheerfully. "Come on, then, Felix, you know I can't possibly manage those dreadful stairs on my own." She said, motioning to her young nephew.
Felix took her feeble hand and carefully, but firmly, helped his old aunt up the stairs. Alec looked at Janet with an exasperated sigh. "So how long is she supposed to be here?"
"Oh, Alec," Janet chided, "now really, Great Aunt Eliza is just here for a visit, a long visit, I'm sure, but it's just a visit. She's not moving in, if that's what's bothering you."
Alec looked at her bleakly.
"Is something wrong?" she asked, "You look kind of pale." Janet reached out her hand and felt his forehead. "You're feverish. I'll make you a nice hot cup of tea, that'll do you good."
Alec coughed. "No, no I'm fine, Janet. Besides, I need to go and check on the lambs." He coughed again. Janet looked at him, a line of worry etched across her face.
"Well, bundle up well then, it's way below 15 with a wind chill, too." she said, wrapping her shawl around her. Eliza was right about the house being cold, Felix probably forgot to fill the wood stove. She peered into the stove, and only saw a few bright red embers glowing.
"Felix King, I'll have your hide for letting the fire go out." she muttered, poking into the embers with a poker. She filled the stove with wood herself.
Felix came running down the stairs, nearly bumping into his mother as he passed her on his way to the hallway.
"Oh, Felix, really, watch where you're going." Janet scolded, still poking into the embers, trying to get a flame. Felix quickly put on his barn coat, hat, and mittens.
"Sorry, Mother, I'm in a hurry. Father needs me right away to help with the lambing. Felicity, hurry up!" he shouted, unaware that his baby brother was taking a nap.
"Shhh!" Janet placed her finger over her lips, "Don't you dare wake your brother, I finally got him asleep." Felicity quietly came walking down the stairs, also making her way towards the hallway.
"And you woke up Great Aunt Eliza, too, with your hollering." she said to Felix. "I was coming with or without your bellowing." She finished, slipping into her jacket.
Finally, Janet managed to get a small, flickering fire going in the stove, and she peered into the wood box, it was empty.
"Felix," Janet instructed, "When you come in from the barn I want you to fill the wood box to the brim, goodness, with Great Aunt Eliza here she'll make me fill the stove until every tree is cleared from the Island." Felix made his way to the door with Felicity behind his heels. "Yes, Mother." he answered, before rushing out into the cold. Felicity trailed behind him, running rather unladylike towards the barn.

3 comments:

  1. Hm. Great Aunt Eliza seems to be making herself at home! I hope for their sakes and sanity that she doesn't stay too long!!
    I enjoyed this very much! Is there going to be a part 4?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it! :) And yes, there IS going to be a part four. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, boy! I can't wait!!! I recently just read ALL of your posts, and this is really creative and cool. :)

    ReplyDelete